Hulston Orange Cookies
I created these to welcome some friends home from their honeymoon in beautiful Sardinia.
Sardinia is renowned for having fantastic produce - including super sweet and juicy oranges - so here is my crunchy - chocolate - orange cookies...!
75g - Organic Coconut Sugar
100g - Spelt Flour
100g - Rice Flour
125g - Unsalted Butter (melted)
1 tsp - Baking Powder
1 x free range egg
A handful of Brazil Nuts (crushed)
1 tablespoon of Orange extract
Zest of 1 orange
Broken pieces of 85% dark chocolate
1. Melt the butter on a gentle heat in a pan (do not let it boil).
2. Mix together the Coconut Sugar and melted Butter in a mixer until creamy.
3. Add your egg whilst the beater is still turning
4. Add your flours and baking powder a little at a time
5. Add your orange extract
6. Turn the mixer off and fold in your crushed brazil nuts and chocolate.
7. Spoon out the cookie mixture into heaped tablespoon dollops onto grease proud paper on a baking tray - leaving about 1.5" inches between each dollop so there is room from them to spread and not join.
8. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 180 degrees (fan)
Recipe Tip: Do not cook them over ten minutes or they end up going rock hard! When you take them out they should just about hold their shape but still be slightly soft. Baking them this way makes the cookie remain to have a chew to it!